Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lighting

It's been a hard couple of days here at the farm, we had to put down Lighting (the kids horse) on Tuesday night.  We had met Pop/Nana for dinner and came home to find Lighting bloated and in severe pain, rolling around the stall and unable to stand or walk. I immediately called Dr. Wonderlick, who said it was Colic and he came out and started working on him.The kids knew that something was wrong with Lighting at bedtime and the Vet was on the way out to help us. Wish they didn't know anything so they would of slept better and not of been worried but there was no hiding it...Brian and I were in panic mode!

 After several shots he was able to stand and walk some (the meds were that good--wish I had some!) and we tubed him hoping to relieve most of the gas. After hours of working on him, shots and tubing,  things were still not looking good. Had he been a $20,000 horse we would of done surgery right then, and still the outcome would of been 50/50.  After talking with Dr. Wonderlick, we decided that things were not getting any better and it was time to put him down.  Brian and I decided that we would tell Hunter and Hayley the next day.

 I stayed with in the barn while he put Lighting down and Brian headed to the house to shower and go to work. He was very peaceful and poor Dr. W was so sweet, kept telling me he was sorry, he did his best, I was tore up (yes over a horse!) and then I was got really tore up thinking about how Hayley was going to handle all of this.

It was after 1am before I got in the house and cleaned up. As soon as I fell asleep here came Hayley crying so we snuggled and cried together and got a little sleep.  I was dreading the questions that were going to come in just a few short hours at breakfast and on way to school.

They both asked about him, and I told him that the Vet game him some good medicine to take away his pain and to make him sleep (wasn't totally lying to them) and we weren't suppose to bother him. Daddy would check on him and then call me at school with an update, if there was any.  I cried all. day. long. at school. It was awful, thankfully I was at Preschool and not with the kids because it would have been worse.

We got home from school and Hayley asked how Lighting was and thankfully Brian answered because I had to leave the room, I was a mess. He told her that he was fine and in heaven. It took her a couple of seconds to understand what he said and then the tears came. She was pretty upset and cried lots, she's emotional like her Momma and Hunter is like Brian, no emotions at all!! We finally got her calmed down and showered and in the bed. She was wore out  and only woke up crying once!!

This morning was easier, a little melt down this morning but she got  it outta her system at home and seemed to be doing well at lunch. I had lots of people who checked on her and said she was doing well,  just very quiet and distant, that's totally opposite for her.

Hoping that this will be easier for her and us as time goes on. I don't care what people say, animals (especially horses) become part of your family and its hard to lose one at anytime, but especially when you are little!

So, we are on the lookout for another horse, if you know of any, let me know!

Christmas 2010
Lighting was a Christmas Present from Mimi and Papaw


his lighting bolt, how he got his name
  First Ride: January 1, 2011



FAVORITE PICTURES:


Thanks to all who have checked on Hayley and Hunter during this time. Your love and prayers mean so much to Brian and I . We are truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment