Thursday, June 13, 2013

Surgery follow up






Monday was my first post op appointment, I was 9 days out from surgery and was looking forward to seeing and hearing all that Dr Oster had for us.

First up, x-rays and my favorite part--they cut away the soft cast that I was in. Oh the fresh air hitting in and the fact that I could actually scratch my leg was heaven on earth. Yes, I dug at my leg like a dog that had fleas and didn't care one bit.  I am starting to heal nicely and didn't see any complications.

 
Next, stiches out. I was very surprised that he was going to take these out, I figured 14 days but was wrong. This hurt more then I thought it would, lots of the stitches were 6x tied and very small and close to skin to prevent scaring. He took 3 out of the left side ankle and 20 out of the right side upper leg area, leaving every other one in to take out next week. Healing nicely and will have the scars to prove it


Dr Oster told us that surgery went well, it was about 2 1/2 hours long (which we expected) and I did wonderfully. He ended up putting a screw on the right ankle to hold it together and a plate with 6 screws on the left. We will leave all this in until it becomes a problem and then we will remove it, said a 1/100 chance. There was talk about possible screws where my foot bends but that wasn't necessary after getting in there and looking around.

I am now in this lovely, heavy, REMOVABLE boot!! I couldn't be happier--I can take it off when  I am awake, elevated and non moving. Its so nice getting to let my leg breathe--I have been itching, washing, moisturizing my leg like crazy. Can't wait to shave, its driving me crazy!!
 
I am slowly starting to work on bending toes and flexing foot, its very sore and stiff to do but I am determined to do this soon!
Prognosis--4 months start to finish with 80-90% mobility and usage when completed! I am in this boot for 4 weeks and non weight bearing, 4 weeks on toe walking in this boot, 4 weeks in half boot and then 4 weeks of PT and learning to walk.
3 of 16 weeks down!

No comments:

Post a Comment