Saturday, August 21, 2010

Estate Sell

We headed out early this morn to the country for Maw Maw's estate sell. It was long day filled with lots of emotions, but I think I can speak for everyone, glad its over.

It was weird seeing all the signs up with the auction information on them. I had to laugh, the kids thought that Maw Maw was famous because her name was all over the place.


There were so  many cool things there and the stories that went with them are even cooler. I could have sat for days listening to people talk about when Maw Maw and Paw Paw Woody lived there and had the farm, when Ma, Gen and Gerald were little, and all the countless other stories that went along with them.  It was a blessing and comfort to hear these and I know it made the day a little easier for Ma and Gen.

Hayley was checking out the records and 8 tracks that Maw Maw had--she couldn't believe there was such a thing.

This bed was made by Gerald (Ma's deaf brother) when he was in school--it was beautiful!

The kids always can find some way of entertaining themselves and today it was the clothes line

I loved taking pictures of all the old barns on the property, the more run down they were the better!! I took lots of pictures but these are my favorites (I like them better in black/white then color), I am going to have them blown up and hang then in the house.




We came home with a few goodies: tobacco sticks (can never have too many of these!), some treated wood, concrete  mixer
and my favorite.....


  Paw Paw Woody's tomahawk from his tobacco days--its over 50 years old!!
How cool is that??  Brian wants to hang it in the barn, and I think it's shadowbox worthy. After all, this is his Great Grandpa's (the kids GREAT GREAT grandpa's) that he used when he worked the fields for way back when. Hunter wants to use it when he is big enough to work tobacco. Don't know about all that.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment