Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tornadoes

We have had some cRaZy weather around here this week, tornado like weather on Wednesday and the real thing on Friday!! I love me a good storm so I was ready for some sitting out on the front porch with my camera. (In my next life I want to be a storm chaser) As we were getting ready to leave for school on Friday, out of no where comes hail---I knew that we were going to be in trouble if wasn't 8:00 and we were already getting the makings of bad weather!  It didn't last long, maybe, 15 minutes, the ground was covered--told the kids that this was as close to snow as we were going to get. I wanted to get more pictures but we were already running late bc of this and I needed to check the car to see if we had any damage. Thankfully, we had none


I have to admit, I was a little worried about being at school when these storms were going to hit, simply because of the kids I work with--they have been OK in the past when we had to take cover but today everyone was on edge--it was in the air.  We kept close watch on the weather and paid close attention to outside--it was very neat how dark, rainy, windy it would get and then let up and turn sunny! Just goes to show that Mother Nature is a powerful, unpredictable, unstoppable force.
My phone was going crazy with weather text alerts, and then we got the call we were having an early dismal , 2:00! I was thankful that we were getting out early because of the weather but then I was aggravated that we were dismissing when the storms were suppose to hit!

I looked at my temperature gauge n the car and it was 73 degrees at 2:00--again an strong factor in the makings for some fun weather!! The sky was beautiful--white clouds and sunshine. Talk about Spring fever---


When we got home about 2:30, Brian was glued to the TV--he is usually not home when storms hit, since they usually hit at night. He was very relieved that nothing was happening yet and we all were under one roof, for right now at least!!   I told him that I think he better get some sleep while he can because we know all to well that when a storm hit, we don't see him for days!! Oh, the life of being a Lineman.


Since it was just very windy and really don't doing anything yet, we went to feed the cows, move the cars to the barn, and move/tie down anything with flyin' potential!! We enjoyed the warm and breezy weather and just had walked in the door then the Chaplin sirens went off, 10 seconds later here came the hail and wind!! I WAS EXCITED....LOVE THIS KIND OF WEATHER!!


My phone battery was dying quickly and I thought that I better save it just in case we needed to send out a SOS to our family if we got sucked up. We started getting hit hard at 4:45--the time that we would of been getting home from school...so thankful!


About 20 minutes into it we lost power!! Brian was on edge because he wanted to see how bad it was going to Louisville because he had to work that night. Thank God for the IPhone--our both were going crazy with alerts, text and calls from family and friends. We had no idea what was going on because of not having power.  Later we found out that Mt Eden was getting pounded--you know when the weather people mention a small little dot out in the middle of nowhere it was serious!  I saw some awesome lighting, dark clouds, hail and trees that were a rocking and a rolling!!

Hayley was set, she had the lap top watching a movie and enjoying a snack!!


After the 2nd round hit, it was over in a blink. Almost eerie over, birds were chirping, sun was out and all was calm. We ventured out to see if we had any damage and this is what I saw:


A gentle reminder of God's promise--beautiful and suddle, yet needed for many!

We had no major damage; cows were safe, barn unharmed, a few limbs down in the field, drive washed a little, power came back on, and no hail damage to siding or vehicles. Brian hasn't had time to check roof because of being at work, but are certain we have some damage.

Lots of friends and neighbors had major damage due to the hail--

so thankful we were spared.


~Thinking and praying for all those who were affected by the tornadoes~





No comments:

Post a Comment